Occupational therapy for children with a sensory processing focus
When you hear that your child needs occupational therapy, your initial reaction can be:
- Relief “Finally we’re going to get our child some help”
- Confusion “What on earth is OT?”
- Fear “What do you mean there’s something wrong with my kid?”
But don’t worry. Occupational Therapy helps many kids with many different issues. It’s a well researched approach to helping children who may be falling behind in development, in cognition or motor skills. Early assessment and intervention help children experience success – in school and in life.
At Spring OT, we work with children from birth to 18 years old.
Each child is unique, yet most come to us due to developmental delays. They can be experiencing struggles with:
- Activities of daily living (toileting, feeding, dressing, grooming).
- Fine and gross motor skills
- Attention and focus
- Emotional dysregulation
While we employ a unique lens of sensory processing, we can help any child experience success in school, at home and in life.
What Spring OT provides
- Individualized therapy programs
- Fun games and strategies that promote success
- Sensory Gym – the largest in the city
- Progress meetings with each appointment
- Suggestions for continuing progress at home
- Equipment library
- Recommendations for adaptive equipment for use at home or school
- Experience coordinating work with other professionals (Speech Therapy, Schools, Doctors, Insurance Cos, etc)
- Professionally prepared assessments
- Approved therapist for CBE, CSB
- Ongoing communication
- Make adaptive equipment recommendations
From the Springboard
Parents have been successfully potty training their children for years. Often, taking away underwear and spending a few days close to home and potty is enough to teach a child to successfully use the toilet. But, what about the trickier child? Whether it’s a diagnosis of Autism or Sensory Processing Disorder, or the skills are […]
‘Tis the season of the busy four year old child! Each year, we seem to have waves of children working on the same issue. This year, other than challenges with potty training, (so much poop!), we are seeing loads of children with a similar profile. Bright, sweet and goes a mile a minute. Does Aiden […]
When the Guru Oprah touts her latest report for 60 Minutes as a “game changer,” you sit up a take notice. When that report is about childhood trauma, healing through relationship and features a Therapy Guru who influences one’s daily pediatric work, you write a blog post about it! Healing children through relationship Oprah’s report featured […]
Spring OT is located in Calgary’s historic and quirky Bridgeland community.
We chose to create our clinic in an old character home rather than a more traditional clinical setting because of the comfort and healing that being in a home can offer.
The clinic has hardwood floors and beams, lots of natural light, high ceilings, communal gathering spaces in our waiting room and kitchen, private treatment spaces, gorgeous outdoor gardens and plants. Together, this all has a massive impact on the emotional regulation of children and families.
The first client to visit teared up and proclaimed “I feel so calm here.” Another client said, “It feels like home.” And that’s exactly what we hope you’ll feel when your family comes in our door.