Occupational therapy for children with a sensory processing focus
When you hear that your child needs occupational therapy, your initial reaction can be:
- Relief “Finally we’re going to get our child some help”
- Confusion “What on earth is OT?”
- Fear “What do you mean there’s something wrong with my kid?”
But don’t worry. Occupational Therapy helps many kids with many different issues. It’s a well researched approach to helping children who may be falling behind in development, in cognition or motor skills. Early assessment and intervention help children experience success – in school and in life.
At Spring OT, we work with children from birth to 18 years old.
Each child is unique, yet most come to us due to developmental delays. They can be experiencing struggles with:
- Activities of daily living (toileting, feeding, dressing, grooming).
- Fine and gross motor skills
- Attention and focus
- Emotional dysregulation
While we employ a unique lens of sensory processing, we can help any child experience success in school, at home and in life.
What Spring OT provides
- Individualized therapy programs
- Fun games and strategies that promote success
- Sensory Gym – the largest in the city
- Progress meetings with each appointment
- Suggestions for continuing progress at home
- Equipment library
- Recommendations for adaptive equipment for use at home or school
- Experience coordinating work with other professionals (Speech Therapy, Schools, Doctors, Insurance Cos, etc)
- Professionally prepared assessments
- Approved therapist for CBE, CSB
- Ongoing communication
- Make adaptive equipment recommendations
From the Springboard
Most of our parents complain “We’ve tried everything to keep our child calm and to stop the tantrums and it’s just not working!” Further discussion reveals that “everything” is most often traditional behavioural strategies, such as punishment and time outs. Families are amazed when OT explains the concepts of emotional regulation and why time outs […]
A year ago, Spring OT expanded our clinic. New staff, new programming and continued client growth have made up a large part of the expansion process. But, one of the biggest and most important decisions was finding our physical space. I knew the right space would have a massive impact on the emotional regulation of […]
At Spring OT we are very passionate about getting creative with interventions and building programs for clients. This summer, we were ecstatic to build a brand new summer camp, from the ground up. Along with our SLP partners, Cochrane Speech Language Therapy Centre, we made a plan of what we expected and how we were […]
Spring OT is located in Calgary’s historic and quirky Bridgeland community.
We chose to create our clinic in an old character home rather than a more traditional clinical setting because of the comfort and healing that being in a home can offer.
The clinic has hardwood floors and beams, lots of natural light, high ceilings, communal gathering spaces in our waiting room and kitchen, private treatment spaces, gorgeous outdoor gardens and plants. Together, this all has a massive impact on the emotional regulation of children and families.
The first client to visit teared up and proclaimed “I feel so calm here.” Another client said, “It feels like home.” And that’s exactly what we hope you’ll feel when your family comes in our door.